The NDC condemns, in the strongest possible terms, the attempts by NPP members to disrupt the election through the dissemination of egregious lies. The recent incident where it was alleged that thumb printed ballot papers were found in a Madison Hotel room, pre-marked for the NDC has emerged as nothing more than a transparent attempt by the NPP, and in particular, the Ashanti Regional Chairman Wontumi, to smear the good name of the NDC and sow discord prior to the election.
The Manager of the hotel in question has released a statement which we share in full below.
The media and public are urged to remain vigilant and aware of these attempts by the NPP to harm our peaceful electoral process. All citizens must ensure that we remain informed by credible sources.
The NDC believes in free and fair elections, and as Ghanaians we cannot tolerate attempts to damage our electoral process through lies and dishonesty.
Below is the full statement
NPP assertion of Thumb printed Ballots scandalous
The attention of Madison Lodge has been drawn to images and videos circulating on social media, alleging that thumb printed ballot papers were found in our hotel rooms.
We wish to state the following
1. On Saturday, December 3 at 7:20PM, a gentleman by name Andy Owusu, who is a known face in Kumasi and special Assistant to Chairman Wontumi, booked three rooms, he said was meant for some investors of his business.
2. He dropped 2 Bags and stayed in the room for 2 hours with a fair lady.
3. Chairman Wontumi, on Sunday, led Police men and media to our hotel premises to the very room his assistant booked, only to be told they were thumb printed Ballot.
4. We see this as scandalous and an attempt to destroy our brand as one of the serene hotels in Kumasi.
5. We are therefore willing to cooperate with the Police to find the true intent of Chairman Wontumi and his special Assistant.